Tuesday, November 02, 2010

The Power of a Greeting Card

Since I was little, I was taught to send handwritten cards whether it was to thank those who gave us gifts during birthdays, for special occasions, or to follow up on a conversation that warranted a handwritten card.

Handwritten notes are somewhat of an anomaly these days with all of the technology available to us as well as lack of time. Unless you're in the business of shipping things out, I truly wonder how many Americans visit their nearest Postal Office to purchase stamps (since many choose to bank and pay bills electronically, too).

Which is precisely WHY the greeting card is so powerful. Since people rarely send one out anymore, it stands out from the crowd of bills, direct mail solicitation, and sale offers in our mailbox.

If you read my last post, you would have known that my grandfather was very ill. While we were able to get him out of the hospital that time, he returned two weeks later and passed away shortly thereafter. It was a difficult time for our family because we were very close to him. The other day, in my mailbox, I found a card waiting for me (in the sea of bills and magazines). 

Everything was set aside and I opened the card - it was a handmade card with just two flowers in bloom. One has four tiny clear sparkly beads in the center. It was sent by one of my reps (who, ironically, reps our Little Works line of greeting cards from South Africa). It's a special card for me in many ways. This rep knew of my grandfather's struggle and knew how close I was to him. He and his wife took the time to find a card that would be appropriate, wrote a kind note inside, and sent it to me. It brought me to tears and now the card sits prominently on my desk where I can look at it and remember my grandfather. I've chosen to think that the two flowers represent me and my grandfather - with my grandfather being the one in the background, watching over me.

And, therein lies the power of a greeting card - like a photo that can be worth a thousand words, receiving a card speaks volumes. Whether you are sending one to thank an interviewer for the job interview, to celebrate a birthday, wedding, baptism, anniversary, as a sympathy card or a "just thinking of you" note, a handwritten greeting card is something you know will be opened and, hopefully, appreciated.

Our Little Works line of greeting cards are special in many ways, too. In addition to them being just beautiful visually, they are fairly traded and handmade by women in South Africa. Our options include general designs, birthday, thinking of you, cards for children's occasions, celebrations and sympathy cards. Some our cards feature bookmarks as part of the designs, making them lovely gifts to keep and remember the thoughtful card, too. 

If you'd like to see a portion of our selection, please visit www.World-Shoppe.com (click under NEW! Little Works Greeting Cards). You can also find our cards at many independent stores, bookshops, cooperative grocery shops and gifts stores throughout the United States. 

Consider sending a card today - and make someone smile. :-)

-Megy Karydes, Founder
World Shoppe
www.World-Shoppe.com




No comments: