Friday, August 20, 2010

Launch Party for Pakistan Line of Fair Trade Jewelry

Amna working in her studio in Lahore, Pakistan
Before I even met Amna Shariff, I was drawn to her work. When I had the opportunity to visit Pakistan this summer, more than a few people thought I was crazy to travel to the country voluntarily. But what cemented my decision to go was what I had learned and read about the country's craft culture. While most of the news we hear revolves around conflict, I saw women trying to keep their culture and handmade techniques alive and working to make their world a better place in which to live.

Birds of Flight Earrings
I asked Amna to send me some of her designs prior to me traveling to Pakistan because from the little I was able to see, I could tell there was something there. She obliged and I was smitten. This woman's work was just breathtaking, just as many of the other women's work I had seen once I arrived in Pakistan. 

Kundan Round Petals Necklace
Her design aesthetic, her patience, her commitment was remarkable and inspiring. But having the opportunity to meet her in person, in her homeland, made our work together that much more special because it not only allows me to put a face with a name, but to see firsthand how she lives, what she's surrounded by on a daily basis and realize how proud she is to be a Pakistani woman. That just can't be done just through technology alone.


Within minutes of meeting each other, I knew I was going to work with Amna. We put together a small collection and armed with my samples, I came back to Chicago, eager to show my retailers the designs and share my story with Amna. As I had hoped, they, too, loved the designs and placed orders.


When I learned Amna was able to secure a visa to visit the U.S., I began working feverishly to organize her launch party. Greenheart, one of my largest retailer accounts, offered to host the event in their shop. We secured the date, August 26, and I can't wait. Chicagoland residents will have the opportunity to meet Amna in person, talk to her about life in Pakistan, her inspiration behind her work, and working with an American woman who will be working tirelessly to promote her work in the U.S. It should make for a fun evening.


If you're in the Chicagoland area, I hope you'll join us. Details can be found below. You can also watch Amna and me tomorrow (Saturday, August 21) as we appear live on-air on ABC7 News Chicago (6:15 a.m.).


Thank you for your commitment to fair trade - and hope to see you soon!


August 26
5:00 - 8:00 pm
Greenheart Shop
1911 W. Division Street


-Megy Karydes, Founder
World Shoppe
(to see Amna's designs, visit our Facebook page - www.Facebook.com/worldshoppe)

 

No comments: