Wednesday, July 22, 2009

South Africa - when you work with women, you get things done


I'm anxiously getting ready for my trip to South Africa in exactly two weeks. I'm trying to pre-plan as much as possible since I know I'll be busy from the minute I get off the airplane to the time I get back on. I already have plans to meet with some fair trade artisans with wonderful gifts, jewelry and home accessories - many of whom are women leading coops! In fact, the gentleman helping me with my trip commented that most of the groups we're meeting with are led by women because, in his words, when you work with women, they get things done. I love that quote...

I met with some folks this morning who were very helpful as I try to navigate cell phones (figured I would rent one there since I won't know if mine will work), laptops (do I take mine or use one there?), converters, dollars vs. rands (the currency of South Africa - see image to the right), how much to tip (yes, tipping is accepted and appreciated), etc. In addition to meeting with artisans throughout my trip, I also want to take in the culture of South Africa - everything from seeing the homes of Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu, to the amazing animals.

Have you been to South Africa? Any advice? I've been to many countries outside of the U.S. but never to South Africa so any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated!

As I near my flight date, I'll be sure to post some stories and I hope you'll share some of yours with me, too!

Until next time,

-Megy Karydes, Founder
www.World-Shoppe.com

No comments: