Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Countdown to South Africa

In one week, I'll be boarding a plan to travel more 24 hours to visit the other side of the world - on so many levels. My destination is South Africa and while it seems like a million miles away, I also feel like we live in a small world. Just as in my hometown of Chicago, women live in poverty in South Africa. Just like mothers in Chicago, mothers in South Africa want to raise their children in the best possible way. To allow the to go to school. To eat healthy food. To have shelter.

But for many in South Africa, that isn't possible. Which is why fair trade is so important to them. By having employment opportunities, they can make decisions that are good for them and their families.

I'm in the process of finalizing my plans on what to see and do while I'm there and look forward to sharing their stories with you!

-Megy Karydes, Founder
www.World-Shoppe.com

No comments: