Sunday, February 28, 2010

Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn - Movie Screening


Half the Sky by Pulitzer-prize winning journalists Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn is not an easy read - but I believe it's a must read. It's not the kind of book your read it one sitting (or one I think you should read in one sitting). It's the type of book you really need to digest in pieces. In all honesty, I made it to the middle of the book and I had to set it aside for a couple of weeks because I didn't have the strength to continue to read it.

If you've not read the book, it's a book about women from around the world who face obstacles you can't even imagine simply because of their gender. I can't imagine anyone could read this book and not be moved and want to take action. Although its goal is to shed light on women's rights globally, it's also about human rights. It tackles so many issues, not just honor killings, but also how culture and customs can affect and suppress women.

Lest you think this is a book just about sadness, it's also about how women (and men) are making a difference, too. And how you can. It's a very hopeful book.
I recently received an email from CARE (www.Care.org). According to the email, CARE has joined forces with Marisa Tomei, Maria Bello, India Arie, Nicholas Kristof and others for HALF THE SKY, an inspiring one night event in 500 movie theatres on Thursday, March 4 at 7:30 p.m. (in all time zones).

Inspired by moving stories from the critically-acclaimed book "Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide", HALF THE SKY will be an evening of uplifting songs, celebrity discussion and the world premiere of "Woineshet," a powerful short film directed by Academy Award®-winner Marisa Tomei and Lisa Leone that chronicles the struggles of an Ethiopian woman who triumphs over violence and discrimination.

Visit www.halftheskylive.com for details, theatre listings and to purchase your tickets today. I'm excited to see so many theaters in Chicago showing it and I'm planning to attend. I hope you'll join me. Please let me know...it would be nice to see it with friends.

-Megy Karydes, Founder
World Shoppe
www.World-Shoppe.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi World Shoppe!

Thanks for sharing this book review. I definitely trust your taste in books so I will add it to my list for this summer's readings.
Keep up the good work with all the groups you've started working with in South Africa. I can't wait to buy myself some of the lovely products.

Kate Robertson
Founder, Mayu Alpaca
www.shopmayu.com